Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, June 16, 2013
Clearly rusty... My goal was to get 14.00m to open the season which would be a big confidence boost but I didn't quite get there... 13.68m. It is 70cm off of my pb but to look at it realistically I am very out of practice and I definitely feel like I will continue to improve. The jump that was my farthest actually didn't feel like the best. I landed off the step with a lot of frontside and jammed my ankle (a little sore but not too bad) and got a lot of vertical but not much horizontal. If I was able to hang on I'm sure that would have been a 14m jump. My last two jumps were pretty much write offs the wind swirled around and put me way behind the board so I broke position. Last summer I jumped 13.60m (wind aided!) And then followed it with a 14.38m performance the next week in the poring rain. I feel confident that something similar may happen, but let's go for 14.50m+ this time ;)
Now this is really funny, after the meet I did 4-5 short approach jumps since I won't really have an opportunity to do much this week since I jump again in Six days and I want to focus on recovery. I'm not sure off the top of my head but I think my 5 step pb from last year was about 12.15m and today I hit a hair under 13.00m! Now hold up, let's do the math for a second. I jumped 13.68m bringing in 9.00m/s speed to the board but I jumped about 13.00m from nearly standing? If that doesn't outline the issue, I don't know what does--clearly I I'm not converting the horizontal momentum to vertical lift.
My hop is still tiny as anything. It's hard to tell from jumping but there was a six meter board taped down and I know for a fact that I wasn't over the board for a least most, probably all of my jumps and by my best estimate, I was hoping about 4.80m... That is not good enough!!!! That is a red flag!!! I'm not 100% sure what the issue is but clearly it originated from my knee injury. I've always had issues opening up the hop but they have gotten much worse since the knee issues. Even when I'm conscious of trying to open it up I still fall short. I will have one opportunity to work on it on Tuesday before I jump again although any work I do will be sub-max since I'll probably still be feeling the effects of today. I have reason to be excited and reason to brood over the day, and with a 4 hour bus ride that will get me home at 1am, that's perfect.

The Good
Physically didn't have any pain
Short approach jumps were amazing
Runway felt fairly good.

The Bad
Under hopping
Under jumping!
Felt very rusty

Jump 1- 13.24m- very flat indeed but instead getting discouraged I knew that it would get better. 2.0 wind

Jump 2- 13.52m-felt better but has a lot of wind behind me, definitely opened up the hop better and had a better landing. 3.3m/s wind

Jump 3- 13.59m-felt like the best jump, hop was probably the farthest of any of them but still less than 5m 0.0m/s wind

Jump 4-13.68m-felt decent through the first two phases but had too much frontside going into the jump phase and went straight up. Didn't think it was as far as it was. Not sure on wind

Jump 5-13.04m-Write off, wind was -2.2m/s and I completely broke position to get to the board.

Jump 6-13.40m- Again bad wind, -1.1m/s, hop was very tiny and lost 30cm on the landing. Might have been the farthest if I cleaned it up. And if the wind was 3.0m/s faster it may have even been 14.00m

Can't wait to jump again but I understand that things are going to take time. I am very confident that I'm setting myself up for a big pb at the end of the season but I need to make it through the canada game trials first, 14.20m+ will be pretty safe, I'm sure that I will be much more satisfied after next week's result.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Personal Bests

Triple Jump Outdoor: 14.38m(47'2ft)(w)-06.23.12

**********************************************

Triple Jump Indoor: 14.28m(46'10ft)-01.14.12


Canadian Junior Championships 2011

Canadian Junior Championships 2011
Third place 13.84m

About Me

Age: 20

Birthday: September 10 1992

High School: Prince Andrew High (2007-2010)

College: Dalhousie University (2010-present)

Hometown: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 160lb's

Personal Role Model: Roger Maris