Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, April 1, 2012
I don't think I have ever been as frustrated as I am at his moment. I can't even count how many times I have been here, in this exact spot... wondering what's next? Again I sit with ice resting callously beneath my left knee as I await the prognosis the morning will bring. I can't believe my hamstring tore again in the same spot. I just want to break things and throw things around my room. I want to scream at the top of my lungs and bang my forehead against my desk.
   Today was about as bad a day as I could have possibly imagined. And I'm beginning to ask myself if I'll ever truly get better or if this is a sign that the end is near. Because now there's fear--fear of doing what it is I love, to jump. I'm afraid to leave the ground for if I do I might feel that familiar ripping sensation. I was trying to do a seven step approach with at about 80% but as soon as I hit the board it snapped. It might not be as bad as it has been in the past but it's still an inconvenience. I tried to go to the weight-room after and squat but it didn't feel right. I wasn't getting much out of it so I kind of... chickened out and bailed early. I was afraid to push at max effort.
   This is a really disappointing time to get injured because the upcoming week was supposed to be "hard week". I was looking forward to putting in some real work. As much as I would love to keep getting stronger and put up some huge numbers in the weight-room I think my time would be better off spent getting healthy and  technically proficient. What good is it to be able to squat 400lb's if I can't even get off the ground? Where it is such a short season strength should not be the primary focus. I failed today, plain and simple. I failed. And I can wake up upset and wanderlust or I can wake up and take a step forward towards getting healthy. I always thought being an athlete was about what one does and how much time they spent training but I'm starting to think that it's the opposite. Being an athlete is more about doing the opposite--it's about what you don't do. It's about eating the right food and knowing when to take it hard and when to rest. I can honestly say I'm not there yet but I think I'm finally starting to learn... the hard way.

TODAY'S WORKOUT
Light jog
Warm-up
Five step bounds 2x3, 5x5
Five step triple jump x2
Seven step triple jump x2 (injured on second one)
Weights--
Squats 2x5@315lb's

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Personal Bests

Triple Jump Outdoor: 14.38m(47'2ft)(w)-06.23.12

**********************************************

Triple Jump Indoor: 14.28m(46'10ft)-01.14.12


Canadian Junior Championships 2011

Canadian Junior Championships 2011
Third place 13.84m

About Me

Age: 20

Birthday: September 10 1992

High School: Prince Andrew High (2007-2010)

College: Dalhousie University (2010-present)

Hometown: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 160lb's

Personal Role Model: Roger Maris