Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, February 25, 2012
I feel like I have spent my entire week waiting for this moment--not to compete tomorrow but to sit in the hotel the night before, worrying, stressing over how the next day is going to go. I feel superb and my weight is 0.5lb's less than the last time I competed. I am going to bed in about half an hour (8:00pm) and will be waking up again at around 5:00am. From 5:00am to about 7:00am I am going to eat a small breakfast, shower, eat, stretch a little a get in "the zone". At 7:00am I am going to call a taxi to take me to the track and when I arrive (assuming around 7:30am) I'll have a little over an hour before I start my warm-up around 8:45am. At 8:00pm I jump.
   As you can tell I like to have things planned out beforehand so nothing goes wrong. The thing is there's a lot that can't be accounted for--for example, strains, tears, delays. I heard that the facility was pretty cold today during DAY 1 of the meet so I will wear lots of clothing. This is my favorite track to jump at and I will be jumping at the same time I set my last pb at six weeks ago.
   I really want to focus on driving through the beginning of the runway and staying low on the hop. I don't feel any huge technical changes are needed at the moment but at the last meet I was having trouble controlling top speed off of the hop phase but now that I know what it feels like I'm hoping that focusing on a low hop and active recovery will be enough to carry me through the rest of the jump. It's funny, the difference between a great jump and an alright jump will only be a couple of centimeters, less than the width of the board. If I can hit my mark dead-on it's all over, no question. I'm hoping that it won't be like the last meet where there seemed to be some sporadic change of about 25cm. There should be about 6 jumpers which should allow at least some time between jumps so fatigue shouldn't be a factor.
   I like to break down this weekend into a series of checkpoints which I would like to clear. The more I hit the better:

   14.26m is the AUS record, two centimeters below my personal best so at the very least I would like to hit this.
   14.33m is the facility record, five centimeters over my pb.
   14.36m is the provincial record would be nice to hold. I set the junior record in December so it would be nice to hit the senior one too.
   14.38m is the Dalhousie record which has been a goal since I started at Dal.
   14.40m was my goal coming into the season, it now seems very realistic.
   14.50m was my goal for this summer is would be nice to hit it early.
   14.51m is the top seed in the CIS right now, I would love to take over the number one seed going in. It would be a huge confidence boost. When I got bronze at juniors over the summer I was the number five seed coming in.
 
Time for a big one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Personal Bests

Triple Jump Outdoor: 14.38m(47'2ft)(w)-06.23.12

**********************************************

Triple Jump Indoor: 14.28m(46'10ft)-01.14.12


Canadian Junior Championships 2011

Canadian Junior Championships 2011
Third place 13.84m

About Me

Age: 20

Birthday: September 10 1992

High School: Prince Andrew High (2007-2010)

College: Dalhousie University (2010-present)

Hometown: Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

Height: 6'0"

Weight: 160lb's

Personal Role Model: Roger Maris